Skip to main content

A Tale of Two Toques

I finished my Chelsea Market Hat this past weekend using Madelinetosh Chunky in Reindeer.  This was a fun project.  I had originally queued this hat up to use with a different yarn, Canon Hand Dyes Gustave MCN Aran in Frank Wolverton Randall, the first shipment in the Among Friends Outlander Club.  This skein was rich and buttery, but with 180 yards, my garment selection would be limited to either a hat or a pair of mitts.  I wanted something with texture, and cables captured the Celtic, Outlander theme.

I came across Caryl Pierre’s Chelsea Market pattern first.  I particularly liked the slouch effect and the chunky cable combined with the garter rows.  But after seeing a post in another Ravelry forum, I decided to use Justyna Lorkowska’s Sand Bank.  The reason for the change?  Cables.  I need more cables (said in my best Christopher Walken voice - pathetic, I know).

Sand Bank Hat
 
That left the Chelsea Market Hat for a reindeery day.  When I learned this color was being discontinued, I just had to have it.  I love the kettle-dyed taupe color.  The only downside to this project was I had a monster of a knot in my yarn.  It was impossible to unravel, and even if I had cut it, I would have had to tink back about three or four rows to break the yarn and start a new tail.  I was concerned about the effect that would have during blocking.  The directions in the pattern were specific, and I didn't want to compromise the slouch effect or the brim.  Luckily I was able to hide the knot on the wrong side.  But other than that, I love the hat and the pattern; another Chelsea is in my future. 

Chelsea Market Hat
I’m a little less enamored with Madelinetosh right now, but only because this has happened several times.  All three were different weights (one sock, one DK, and now bulky) and came from different stores.  It’s disappointing when manufacturers sell yarn like this.  And honestly, I think it’s a large part of the reason that I’ve turned to indie dyers, because although updates can be crazy, the scale of their output is smaller ensuring better quality.

And I don’t want to single out Madelinetosh.  I’ve had similar experiences with Noro yarns too, but when those knots happen, a completely different color is tied into the break - disrupting the color shift.  Anyway, I know knots happen, and most times I can adapt.  But I sure wish I had better luck with these pesky skeins.
 
So there you go – my toasty new toques.  I have another hat pattern I plan to gauge this week.  One of the things I’m proudest of is I’m using yarn from the deep stash.  More to come about that project later, but until them, bon tricot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

The first week back after a long holiday is always the hardest.  I also find it’s where I tend to lose focus of my goals…and so it went this week for journaling and the yarn diet.  While I managed to journal four nights in a row, I missed three by week’s end.  I also fell off the destash wagon visiting a charming LYS seven minutes from a conference I was attending for work.  I don’t feel as badly about that relapse since I bought a non-fingering weight yarn in a 100% marled alpaca.  They also had some knitting notions that I’ve only seen online – bamboo chunky circs and a Knit Kit. The Knitting B, Richmond, VA But how to explain the sock yarn purchase?   FOMA (fear of missing out).   One of my favorite dyers posted a 24-hour- only skein to celebrate her 6,000 th sale on Etsy.   Those exclusive speckles did me in. Canon Hand Dyes by the amyleeshow on Etsy This week has shown me that it’s easy to get off track, so before I ...

Spring Cleaning – Whipping Out Shawl WIPs

I decided it was time for a little spring cleaning.  I had two shawls in different states of finishing: my Drops of Honey Shawl not started and Claire Randall Fraser one-quarter knit.   The Drops of Honey shawl is the first installment of Indie Untangled’s Where We Knit Club, and since I knew the next installment was shipping May 1, I was motivated to cast on-cast off. This is my first time using merino-silk yarn.   It was quite the treat!   The golden-honey hue is not one I would pick for my blue-grey-turquoise loving self, but I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.   It’s a great neutral and can be paired with anything.   My son, who was fascinated with this project, compared the shawl to honeycomb.   Sounds like something an aspiring knitter would say.   Besides the merino-silk fiber, this is also my first time knitting a Janina Kallio  pattern.   But it won’t be my last.   In the meantime, I’m woe...