Skip to main content

There’s Nothing Plain About Vanilla – Another Set of Stockinette Stitch Socks

It’s been a few weeks since my last post, but I’m proud to say I’ve survived a stint with strep throat, my son’s first birthday party (with 24 of his kindergarten classmates), and Easter, complete with a visit from the Bunny, an egg hunt in the backyard, and a trip to see Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey’s circus.  It’s been a whirlwind, to say the least.  But in that time, I’ve been sneaking in some knitting when I can.  To feel creative and productive (which don’t always co-exist happily), I find it best to have a pair of plain vanilla, stockinette stitch socks on my needles at all times.  I can trot them out of my project bag and knit a few rounds while waiting for folks to shop our yard sale, like I did this past weekend, or while I watch the kids play outside in the front yard. 

The first time I saw the Regia Jacquard sock yarn was on Susan B. Anderson’s blog.  I was saddened to learn it’s since been discontinued.  But during my Google search, I found it discounted at several online yarn shops, as well as my old standbys, Etsy and Ebay. 
I purchased three skeins – kolibri (#07204), elsvogel (#07206), and blaumeise (#07202). 


Since I haven’t mastered stranded knitting yet, the Regia Jacquard would allow me to produce a fair isle-like garment without the fair isle technique.  Now I know I need to keep challenging myself and adding to my knitting repertoire.  But the daily demands of work and home mean I have to make some trade-offs every now and then. 


All in all, I’m pleased with my new socks.  I like the colorway, and I knit them with a longer leg than my usual socks, since I think they’ll look best with boots or layered over tights come fall or winter.  The striping, checkered patterns of the yarn also made them interesting to knit, so I never got bored with the plain vanilla pattern.  It made casting on and finishing the second sock that much easier, and if you’re a sock knitter, you know how hard that can be. 


I don’t have any other socks cast on at the moment.  But I’m thinking of casting on two different sets – a plain vanilla pair (so I can knit with ongoing distractions and interruptions - and trust me, with my three- and six-year-old boys, there. are. many!) and something more intermediate that would add interest and texture to my socks.  I’ve been pouring over Charlene Schurch’s books – Sensational Knitted Socks and More Sensational Knitted Socks – that I checked out from the library this week.  So stay tuned.  I hope to have some new socks on circs shortly.  Until then, bon tricot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

The first week back after a long holiday is always the hardest.  I also find it’s where I tend to lose focus of my goals…and so it went this week for journaling and the yarn diet.  While I managed to journal four nights in a row, I missed three by week’s end.  I also fell off the destash wagon visiting a charming LYS seven minutes from a conference I was attending for work.  I don’t feel as badly about that relapse since I bought a non-fingering weight yarn in a 100% marled alpaca.  They also had some knitting notions that I’ve only seen online – bamboo chunky circs and a Knit Kit. The Knitting B, Richmond, VA But how to explain the sock yarn purchase?   FOMA (fear of missing out).   One of my favorite dyers posted a 24-hour- only skein to celebrate her 6,000 th sale on Etsy.   Those exclusive speckles did me in. Canon Hand Dyes by the amyleeshow on Etsy This week has shown me that it’s easy to get off track, so before I ...

A Tale of Two Toques

I finished my Chelsea Market Hat this past weekend using Madelinetosh Chunky in Reindeer.  This was a fun project.  I had originally queued this hat up to use with a different yarn, Canon Hand Dyes Gustave MCN Aran in Frank Wolverton Randall, the first shipment in the Among Friends Outlander Club .   This skein was rich and buttery, but with 180 yards, my garment selection would be limited to either a hat or a pair of mitts.   I wanted something with texture, and cables captured the Celtic, Outlander theme. I came across Caryl Pierre’s Chelsea Market pattern first.  I particularly liked the slouch effect and the chunky cable combined with the garter rows.  But after seeing a post in another Ravelry forum, I decided to use Justyna Lorkowska’s Sand Bank .  The reason for the change?  Cables.  I need more cables (said in my best Christopher Walken voice - pathetic, I know). Sand Bank Hat   That left the Chelsea Market Hat f...

Spring Cleaning – Whipping Out Shawl WIPs

I decided it was time for a little spring cleaning.  I had two shawls in different states of finishing: my Drops of Honey Shawl not started and Claire Randall Fraser one-quarter knit.   The Drops of Honey shawl is the first installment of Indie Untangled’s Where We Knit Club, and since I knew the next installment was shipping May 1, I was motivated to cast on-cast off. This is my first time using merino-silk yarn.   It was quite the treat!   The golden-honey hue is not one I would pick for my blue-grey-turquoise loving self, but I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.   It’s a great neutral and can be paired with anything.   My son, who was fascinated with this project, compared the shawl to honeycomb.   Sounds like something an aspiring knitter would say.   Besides the merino-silk fiber, this is also my first time knitting a Janina Kallio  pattern.   But it won’t be my last.   In the meantime, I’m woe...