Skip to main content

The Club Craze: Self Striping Yarn Club

I have fallen off the fingering weight wagon...again.  Despite my self-imposed kibosh on all self-striping sock yarn, I joined a three-month sock yarn club this week.  I am choosing to characterize my slip up as stash enhancement because Quaere is one of my favorite indie dyers, and I stalk her Etsy store daily. 

Unlike other clubs I have participated in, where there is a blind reveal, she has opted to share inspiration photos.  Check these out.

Quaere Self Striping Yarn Club January inspiration photo

Quaere Self Striping Yarn Club February inspiration photo

Quaere Self Striping Yarn Club March inspiration photo
Needless to say, I loved them ALL.  

I’ve found that yarn clubs can be a mixed bag.  While I do enjoy the surprise and anticipation around club selections, I appreciate my need for control even more.  It’s the reason I cannot knit fraternal socks or the polar opposite colorways that seem to be so popular.  My socks must match – from cuff to heel to toe.  And knowing the colors that may inspire a club yarn makes the lump sum purchase easier to make since I know that I will love and use each selection.  No destash sales here.

So back on the wagon I go.  Until next week, bon tricot.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

The first week back after a long holiday is always the hardest.  I also find it’s where I tend to lose focus of my goals…and so it went this week for journaling and the yarn diet.  While I managed to journal four nights in a row, I missed three by week’s end.  I also fell off the destash wagon visiting a charming LYS seven minutes from a conference I was attending for work.  I don’t feel as badly about that relapse since I bought a non-fingering weight yarn in a 100% marled alpaca.  They also had some knitting notions that I’ve only seen online – bamboo chunky circs and a Knit Kit. The Knitting B, Richmond, VA But how to explain the sock yarn purchase?   FOMA (fear of missing out).   One of my favorite dyers posted a 24-hour- only skein to celebrate her 6,000 th sale on Etsy.   Those exclusive speckles did me in. Canon Hand Dyes by the amyleeshow on Etsy This week has shown me that it’s easy to get off track, so before I ...

A Tale of Two Toques

I finished my Chelsea Market Hat this past weekend using Madelinetosh Chunky in Reindeer.  This was a fun project.  I had originally queued this hat up to use with a different yarn, Canon Hand Dyes Gustave MCN Aran in Frank Wolverton Randall, the first shipment in the Among Friends Outlander Club .   This skein was rich and buttery, but with 180 yards, my garment selection would be limited to either a hat or a pair of mitts.   I wanted something with texture, and cables captured the Celtic, Outlander theme. I came across Caryl Pierre’s Chelsea Market pattern first.  I particularly liked the slouch effect and the chunky cable combined with the garter rows.  But after seeing a post in another Ravelry forum, I decided to use Justyna Lorkowska’s Sand Bank .  The reason for the change?  Cables.  I need more cables (said in my best Christopher Walken voice - pathetic, I know). Sand Bank Hat   That left the Chelsea Market Hat f...

Spring Cleaning – Whipping Out Shawl WIPs

I decided it was time for a little spring cleaning.  I had two shawls in different states of finishing: my Drops of Honey Shawl not started and Claire Randall Fraser one-quarter knit.   The Drops of Honey shawl is the first installment of Indie Untangled’s Where We Knit Club, and since I knew the next installment was shipping May 1, I was motivated to cast on-cast off. This is my first time using merino-silk yarn.   It was quite the treat!   The golden-honey hue is not one I would pick for my blue-grey-turquoise loving self, but I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.   It’s a great neutral and can be paired with anything.   My son, who was fascinated with this project, compared the shawl to honeycomb.   Sounds like something an aspiring knitter would say.   Besides the merino-silk fiber, this is also my first time knitting a Janina Kallio  pattern.   But it won’t be my last.   In the meantime, I’m woe...