Skip to main content

NoLA Knitting with French Market Fibers

I was in New Orleans last week.  The city inspired me to cast on a new pair of socks using French Market Fibers, a New Orleans-based indie dyer.  This fingering weight yarn is a blend of merino and cashmere, and it’s the creamiest thing I have ever knit with, much like the cocktail for which it’s named. 

I had never heard of Brandy Milk Punch, but I saw it listed on the drinks menu at dinner one night.  So I tried it.  It won’t become my signature drink, but Brandy Milk Punch yarn could possibly become my signature color. 



I always thought knitting with neutrals would be boring, but not so with this yarn.  The color has so much depth and dimension.  And the yarn mirrors the drink perfectly!

I used the Parade pattern, which kept my interest but did not require a lot of concentration.  Better yet, I was able to get a cable effect without a cable needle. 



I really love how he these turned out, but I’m going to consider these my “reserve” socks.  Without nylon, their "drawer life" is limited.  I'll wear these on a day when I can curl up with a good book and read as long as I want to.

I have more French Market lovelies in my stash – even some worsted weight in Brandy Milk Punch.  But given how beautiful this yarn is, I’m going to need some time to select just the right pattern.  In the meantime, I guess I’ll cast on (wait for it, wait for it…) another sock. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

The first week back after a long holiday is always the hardest.  I also find it’s where I tend to lose focus of my goals…and so it went this week for journaling and the yarn diet.  While I managed to journal four nights in a row, I missed three by week’s end.  I also fell off the destash wagon visiting a charming LYS seven minutes from a conference I was attending for work.  I don’t feel as badly about that relapse since I bought a non-fingering weight yarn in a 100% marled alpaca.  They also had some knitting notions that I’ve only seen online – bamboo chunky circs and a Knit Kit. The Knitting B, Richmond, VA But how to explain the sock yarn purchase?   FOMA (fear of missing out).   One of my favorite dyers posted a 24-hour- only skein to celebrate her 6,000 th sale on Etsy.   Those exclusive speckles did me in. Canon Hand Dyes by the amyleeshow on Etsy This week has shown me that it’s easy to get off track, so before I ...

A Tale of Two Toques

I finished my Chelsea Market Hat this past weekend using Madelinetosh Chunky in Reindeer.  This was a fun project.  I had originally queued this hat up to use with a different yarn, Canon Hand Dyes Gustave MCN Aran in Frank Wolverton Randall, the first shipment in the Among Friends Outlander Club .   This skein was rich and buttery, but with 180 yards, my garment selection would be limited to either a hat or a pair of mitts.   I wanted something with texture, and cables captured the Celtic, Outlander theme. I came across Caryl Pierre’s Chelsea Market pattern first.  I particularly liked the slouch effect and the chunky cable combined with the garter rows.  But after seeing a post in another Ravelry forum, I decided to use Justyna Lorkowska’s Sand Bank .  The reason for the change?  Cables.  I need more cables (said in my best Christopher Walken voice - pathetic, I know). Sand Bank Hat   That left the Chelsea Market Hat f...

Spring Cleaning – Whipping Out Shawl WIPs

I decided it was time for a little spring cleaning.  I had two shawls in different states of finishing: my Drops of Honey Shawl not started and Claire Randall Fraser one-quarter knit.   The Drops of Honey shawl is the first installment of Indie Untangled’s Where We Knit Club, and since I knew the next installment was shipping May 1, I was motivated to cast on-cast off. This is my first time using merino-silk yarn.   It was quite the treat!   The golden-honey hue is not one I would pick for my blue-grey-turquoise loving self, but I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.   It’s a great neutral and can be paired with anything.   My son, who was fascinated with this project, compared the shawl to honeycomb.   Sounds like something an aspiring knitter would say.   Besides the merino-silk fiber, this is also my first time knitting a Janina Kallio  pattern.   But it won’t be my last.   In the meantime, I’m woe...