Skip to main content

Star Wars Day: May the 4th Be With You

Happy Star Wars Day!  


There’s been an abundance of Star Wars themed yarn this year, and I have fallen for many of them.  After completing my Brandy Milk Punch socks, I cast on a new pair using Two SistersYarn Company’s These Are Not The Droids You're Looking For.  


I stumbled across this skein in February on Etsy.  It was the only one left, and it's dyed on their Canyon Creek MCN Base, which is 80% superwash merino wool, 10% cashmere, and 10% nylon.  The striping sequence is five rows R2-D2 blue followed by Storm Troopers white, Millennium Falcon grey, Chewbacca brown, BB-8 orange, and the First Order black.  I have completed two repeats, and I'm loving the color combinations.  

And speaking of droids, Must Stash Yarns is having a Star Wars KAL.  To determine my allegiance – Empire or Rebels – I took a quiz.  And it looks like I’m going to knit for the Dark Side.  My skein of Rey arrived in the mail this week, but I’m going to cast on using R2D2. 


And in other non-socking knitting news, I am almost finished with the first Where You Knit Club yarn and pattern.  I hope to have FO pics next week.


Until then, May the 4th be with you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

The first week back after a long holiday is always the hardest.  I also find it’s where I tend to lose focus of my goals…and so it went this week for journaling and the yarn diet.  While I managed to journal four nights in a row, I missed three by week’s end.  I also fell off the destash wagon visiting a charming LYS seven minutes from a conference I was attending for work.  I don’t feel as badly about that relapse since I bought a non-fingering weight yarn in a 100% marled alpaca.  They also had some knitting notions that I’ve only seen online – bamboo chunky circs and a Knit Kit. The Knitting B, Richmond, VA But how to explain the sock yarn purchase?   FOMA (fear of missing out).   One of my favorite dyers posted a 24-hour- only skein to celebrate her 6,000 th sale on Etsy.   Those exclusive speckles did me in. Canon Hand Dyes by the amyleeshow on Etsy This week has shown me that it’s easy to get off track, so before I ...

A Tale of Two Toques

I finished my Chelsea Market Hat this past weekend using Madelinetosh Chunky in Reindeer.  This was a fun project.  I had originally queued this hat up to use with a different yarn, Canon Hand Dyes Gustave MCN Aran in Frank Wolverton Randall, the first shipment in the Among Friends Outlander Club .   This skein was rich and buttery, but with 180 yards, my garment selection would be limited to either a hat or a pair of mitts.   I wanted something with texture, and cables captured the Celtic, Outlander theme. I came across Caryl Pierre’s Chelsea Market pattern first.  I particularly liked the slouch effect and the chunky cable combined with the garter rows.  But after seeing a post in another Ravelry forum, I decided to use Justyna Lorkowska’s Sand Bank .  The reason for the change?  Cables.  I need more cables (said in my best Christopher Walken voice - pathetic, I know). Sand Bank Hat   That left the Chelsea Market Hat f...

Spring Cleaning – Whipping Out Shawl WIPs

I decided it was time for a little spring cleaning.  I had two shawls in different states of finishing: my Drops of Honey Shawl not started and Claire Randall Fraser one-quarter knit.   The Drops of Honey shawl is the first installment of Indie Untangled’s Where We Knit Club, and since I knew the next installment was shipping May 1, I was motivated to cast on-cast off. This is my first time using merino-silk yarn.   It was quite the treat!   The golden-honey hue is not one I would pick for my blue-grey-turquoise loving self, but I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.   It’s a great neutral and can be paired with anything.   My son, who was fascinated with this project, compared the shawl to honeycomb.   Sounds like something an aspiring knitter would say.   Besides the merino-silk fiber, this is also my first time knitting a Janina Kallio  pattern.   But it won’t be my last.   In the meantime, I’m woe...